Monday, March 5, 2012

Possible Rendition for Final Project

So for this past week, I was supposed to choose a favorite line from my assigned play, Antony and Cleopatra, that could possibly be included in our final project, and then take it a little further. As I was looking for a favorite line, I ran across a quote of Mark Antony's that I really liked: 

"Where hast thou been, my heart? Dost thou hear, lady?/ If from the field I shall return once more/ To kiss these lips, I will appear in blood; I and my sword will earn our chronicle:/ There's hope in't yet." (III.xiii.)

I love this line and how optimistic it is. I take it as Antony will do anything to return again to his Cleopatra. He knows that death is inevitable, but he is determined to come back, even if it's just for a minute. And to me it is absolutely heart-wrenching. I love the imagery Shakespeare presents us with; it gives me such a vivid mental picture. For our final project, I think it would be really cool to have two characters desperately in love with one another that nothing can tear them apart.

Now, this quote when put into context with the rest of the play comes before a war that Antony is fighting against Caesar, and he knows he will not come out of it alive. Perhaps we can change the context before and after the quote? That way it could emphasize part of the quote slightly different. We could change the war into just a forever separation of the two individuals, due to perhaps the fact that they live in two separate worlds: one of them being royalty and the other being a commoner. The man could secretly have fallen in love with a servant or perhaps someone he met as he was out of the castle in which he lived. They could be separated because his father unexpectedly died and he has to take over and it wouldn't be proper for him to love a commoner. Secretly before his father's death they could have been playing on running off together, but the plan has backfired because of his new-found responsibility.  I guess it could go something like this:

"Where has thou been, my heart? Dost thou hear, lady?/ Sep'rated we forever be. If not/ For royal duty, we toge'er could be./ But tho we now must be apart, you will/ fore'er be in my heart. I'll find a way,/ we'll be toge'er one day."


So, work in progress. For sure. But, what do you think?

 

2 comments:

  1. really impressed with the language, and application of the quote to a new situation. my only suggestion (if you want to more fully mirror the original quote) is not make the last parts rhyme. the times that i've noticed Shakespeare rhyming (other than sonnets) is when the Chorus ends a scene, or one of the comedic characters has something to say.
    in any case, I think this is great... honestly, i have zero faith in myself to create anything that remotely looks like Shakespeare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been brainstorming about Puck's back story as a possible project and I used your true love separated by status idea in my story idea. I obviously like what you came up with here. Check out what I came up with, please.
    http://ortonemily232.blogspot.com/2012/03/pucks-tragic-tail.html

    ReplyDelete