Thursday, March 22, 2012

Puck's Love

I've been trying to think of a name I think could work for Puck's love and I have come up with one name so far. I like it a lot really. 
We discussed together that we wanted to possibly relate it to Artemis, being the daughter of Zeus and Leto. Leto is one of the daughters of the first-generation Titan god, Coeus. (I found all this here.)
Well looking more into Artemis, I discovered that she is the goddess of fertility, childbirth, the moon, and hunting. We already discussed how the moon can represent metamorphosis, so that's the connection there specifically to the play. Anyways, Artemis was born to Leto, and there's a really interesting story behind it. Apparently Hera was not pleased that Leto was conceiving due to Zeus and so she made a rule in which Leto could not give birth on land. Close to giving birth, Leto finally discovered an island that wasn't connected to anything- it was just a piece of something floating around and consequently not a real piece of land connected to the earth, so she gave birth there. The name of the island was Ortegia. And there you go! What about Ortegia as the name of Puck's love? 
I did try to see if Artemis happened to have any children and it turns out she chose to be a virgin goddess, so no go on that...
But I think there can definitely be a connection, not too terribly obvious, and it's kind of pretty. She could be a cousin of Titania if we want, or perhaps a niece.  

Side note: I also edited my last post a little, showing that Puck's love is not going to give up. I know it was mentioned that it'd be nice to reiterate that they would be together again one day. So hopefully that works!

2 comments:

  1. Or she could even be taken it in by Titania after Hera's anger comes against her for letting Artemis and Apollo be born--that sorta thing.

    I really like this. I hadn't even thought of using the island as the love interest!!! I had been going through lots of goddesses, and none of them really seemed like a good fit. This really fits though. Nice name, tied to Artemis, tied to earth-->pucks, etc. Very good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a great name, and I can't wait to see what you guys do with your part of the project!

    ReplyDelete