Thursday, February 9, 2012

Character Analysis: Hamlet

Hamlet:
 Hamlet to me was an incredibly interesting character. He leaves everyone confused and questioning how he acts. Yet he also has some incredibly deep thoughts which can leave you wondering where that came from. To me, it reminded me of Gobstoppers. There are so many layers to Hamlet, like with Gobstoppers. And each layer is a mystery. When consuming Gobstoppers, you never really know what color the next layer is going to be, and so it leaves you questioning until the next layer is revealed.


Claudius:
 In the play, Claudius is pathetic. He focuses completely on power and how he can obtain it, and won't let anyone get in his way (the late King Hamlet, Hamlet, and eventually Gertrude). He is an incredibly deceitful and cunning man. With that in mind, I thought of hot sauce. It can be incredibly overpowering. Claudius wants to be the center of attention, the one with all the authority and control. Hot sauce oftentimes for me becomes the center of attention. I don't have an incredibly high toleration for hot foods. It quickly masks the rest of the flavors in a dish for me. And personally, without it, life is better. Food is better. If Claudius weren't in the picture, life would have been far better for everyone involved.

 

Gertrude:
Gertrude is an interesting person in that she does love her son, Hamlet, but doesn't always do the best in showing it. And in different renditions of the play, she is portrayed differently. I really liked how Gertrude was portrayed in the Royal Shakespeare Company's Hamlet  with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart. She is seen more the way I thought and hoped she was like. When I think of Gertrude, I relate her to snickerdoodles. A more delicate and fancy kind of cookie. There are so many different recipes, so many different interpretations, of the same exact cookie. This gives the baker, or performer, ability to control the finished product and put their own twist on it if wanted. And some products are better or worse than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment