Friday, February 3, 2012

Comparisons of Hamlet

This past week I had the opportunity to see two different versions of Hamlet: the Royal Shakespeare Company (David Tennant and Patrick Stewart) rendition, and the Kenneth Branagh one. Both were excellent and did a great job at developing the story throughout. Both emphasized different things, making the versions unique. I think I liked the Royal Shakespeare Company's version best, for these following reasons:
Actors
Generally, I thought the casting of the RSC version was better than the KB version. David Tennant did an excellent job as Hamlet, appearing insane throughout the movie. And it was humorous. I truly thought he was insane, rather than just acting the part. Kenneth Branagh had his moments with me, but I ultimately felt like he wasn't as genuine perhaps? I couldn't always see him in the role. Maybe it was just his bleached hair that I couldn't get over.
I also preferred the Polonius in the RSC version to that in the KB version. He was such a minor and insignificant character to me, and in the RSC version, he was treated more like that. He was constantly belittled or put down in the movie. In the KB version, he just bothered me, trying to display some sort of power or authority over Hamlet.
Hamlet's mother, Gertrude, also appeared to care more about Hamlet throughout. I felt that she was portrayed better in the RSC version.
My only problem with the RSC version was with Ophelia. Although the actress, Mariah Gale, was a really good insane person, I felt that Kate Winslet in the KB version was a better pick overall. I felt that Gale was a little weak in the first half of the movie, and couldn't really act the part of the sweet, innocent, and beautiful Ophelia.
Setting
In the RSC version of the play, the characters were centered in maybe three different main sets. It made it a lot easier to watch and follow along. In the KB version, the characters were all over the place, and it made it difficult to remember what all occurred where and with who.
Interpretation
The RSC version decided to leave out a few scenes from the play, such as everything with Fortinbras, and the final scene where Hamlet is honored in death. This made the movie much simpler and easier to follow. I do wish that they had honored him at the end though, and sort of put him back in a good light.
I also really liked how the RSC chose to portray Gertrude drinking the poison knowingly. It made it appear like she sided with Hamlet in the end, a betrayal of sorts on Claudius, and not on Hamlet himself. In the KB version, it appeared like Gertrude throughout the movie betrayed Hamlet, not trying to consider his side until it was too late, and she had been poisoned and realized it was Claudius all along.
Also, I thought it was neat that the RSC chose to modernize the play in some aspects. I love how they decided to wear updated clothing throughout the movie. When Hamlet was completely depressed and insane, he was depicted in jeans and shoeless (and without socks-a big peeve of mine). The drastic change in appearance just made it more clear the drastic change in personality he was undergoing.
Overall, I also thought it was easier to understand what all was going on. Although it wasn't always a direct translation, the RSC always spoke Shakespearean, but it was slower than the KB version. I felt that the KB version just kind of read through the lines, and didn't act them out as well as they could. It made it difficult to follow at times and I often got lost in the wording. The RSC did a good job at expressing the words they spoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment