Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Merchant of Venice

So this past weekend, I starting reading the Merchant of Venice, and so far I have absolutely loved it. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for romance :) I also have found a better way to take notes and focus as I read, so perhaps my interest is due to that partially too. I just finished the second act, and there's so much I want to talk about!
First,

"I hold the world but as the world, Gratiano; A stage where every man must play a part. And mine a sad one." (I.i.)

Antonio states this to his friend, Gratiano when he is sad for some unknown reason. I saw this two ways: (1) the world is a stage and we are the actors. We can manipulate the world however way we want according to how we choose to live our life. And (2) we, as actors, are manipulated by the world as we go through the various scenes of life. We must choose how we react to certain things that come our way. Overall though, happiness in life is dependent on our perspective and attitude towards life's obstacles.

Second,

"If to do were as easy as to know what were good to do, chapels had been churches and poor men’s cottages princes' palaces. It is a good divine that follows his own instructions. I can easier teach twenty what were good to be done than be one of the twenty to follow mine own teaching. The brain may devise laws for the blood, but a hot temper leaps o'er a cold decree." (I. ii.)

I love this quote of Portia's: it's so applicable to life. We all tend to know what is best to do in a particular situation, but that doesn't necessarily mean we do it. We also may advise someone on what's best, but not take our own advice. I immediately thought of these two things: (1) Practice what you preach, and (2) Matthew 7:1-5 (concerning the mote and beam in eye). And oftentimes it's easier to admit to something than actually do it.

Third,

"whereof who chooses his meaning chooses you, will no doubt never be chosen by any rightly but one who shall rightly love" (I. ii.)

Nerissa explains this to Portia when she is speaking of her father's will. I think this, although rather frustrating, is ultimately really sweet of him. I like the idea of him wanting to make sure she is provided for. The suitors that would choose silver or gold are more interesting in the material goods, than actually loving her.

Fourth, what is the deal between the Jews and Christians? Something I need to research.




1 comment:

  1. I LOVE all the quotes you pulled out and your thoughts! I thought about those last two as well... I really liked how Portia talks about agency (or lack thereof)... her interaction with Nerissa is really interesting.

    ReplyDelete