Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Music in Myself

FINISHED! I have now read the Merchant of Venice in its entirety! And I loved it :)

My favorite part was when they mentioned music:

-“ The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, strategems, and spoils; The motions of his spirit are dull as night And his affections dark as Erebus: Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music. (V.i.)

Music has always been a huge part of my life. I grew up playing the piano, organ, and clarinet. I was involved in my high school's marching band, pep band, woodwind choir, and symphonic band. I was pretty much a band nerd. I loved being able to create something and the unity I felt when I played with others. As I have played the organ, I have been able to express my love and appreciation for the gospel. I love how feelings can be translated into song. It makes me immensely happy <3.
Lorenzo states this to his wife, Jessica, while they are over Belmont. I love how he says that if man doesn't have music within himself, then his spirit is dull. Music enlivens the soul. It can make you feel happy, sad, anxious, inspired, upset. It helps me put things into perspective. Lorenzo goes as far as to say "But music for the time doth change his nature," (V.i.) Music can do so much!

This picture is one of my favorites from high school. Senior year, my section got to be really close. And so when I think of music, I think of marching band senior year, and all the incredible memories I have of it :)




No comments:

Post a Comment